Salvation Army supporter in Jacksonville, Florida brightens lives By: Antoinette Vitale
Richard Stetina has fond memories of going to parks as a child. He still can recall every detail of the ones that are most special to him. When he took a tour of The Salvation Army’s Towers Center of Hope and the Red Shield Lodge shelter for women and families, the playground made an impression on him – but not for the right reasons.
It was old, in disrepair and clearly in need of some love. After he went home, the playground kept coming up in his mind. Finally, he decided that he needed to do something about it.
“I went home, and I guess it was two or three days before I started thinking about it again,” Stetina said. “And I thought, you know, I could so something that would be better. I made my proposal, it was accepted, and here we are today.”
Stetina could have just written a check and felt good about the difference he made. But he isn’t that kind of fellow. He researched the best playground..
Our Local Leadership
The Center of Hope
Family Thrift Store
- 9:30 am Sunday School
- 10:45 am Worship Service (Holiness Meeting)
- 10:30 am Senior Fellowship at Evangeline Booth Garden Apartments
- 4:00 pm Adult Bible Study at Evangeline Booth Garden Apartments
- 5:00 pm Men’s Community Basketball in Gym
- 5:30 pm Family Dinner (adult meal participants are asked to contribute $10 monthly)
- 6:00 pm Bible Study
- 6:00 pm Youth Character-Building Programs
- 7:30 pm Brass Band Practice
- 6:00 pm Men’s Community Basketball
- 6:30 pm Women’s Ministry & Men’s Club
- Answer phones
- Assist clients with calls or applications
- Evening Feeding (serving and clean up)
- Seasonal: Take applications during sign up weeks, Angel Tree, Red Kettle bell ringing.