The Open Door project provides safe shelter to 45 chronically homeless people each night. For some homeless people, especially those who have been on the street for a length of time, lack of trust in “the system” keeps them from seeking shelter. The only “commitment” at this facility will be a one night stay, which includes breakfast.
Each night, homeless people seek safety and a comfortable bed; they also have the opportunity to engage with our staff and some begin to believe that a different way of life is possible.
- Homelessness is a challenge shared by all members of the community, and The Salvation Army is taking a proactive approach to meeting a critical unmet need through the Open Door low demand shelter.
- The goal of the Open Door project is to build trust with chronically homeless people who then may be more willing to receive services to help them attain permanent housing.
- The Salvation Army collaborates with 211 Broward and other homeless providers in the Broward County Continuum of Care including Broward Partnership for the Homeless and Broward Outreach Centers.
If you’d like to donate and support the Open Door Project, here’s how.
- 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769)
- P.O. Box 230, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33302
If you’d like to volunteer, please contact our volunteer coordinator, Alyse Gossman, at 954-712-2435 or Alyse.Gossman@uss.salvationarmy.org
Please check your used title..
Employer matching gifts are a great way to double your gift to The Salvation Army in Broward County. Ask your company if there is a matching gift program in place. Processing an employer match is easy. Just complete and send your section of the matching gift form provided by your employer — we’ll handle the rest! If you’ve already made your donation, you can still send us the completed matching gift form, and we’ll verify it directly with your employer.
Please send matching gift forms via email to Alyse Gossman firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
The Salvation Army ATTN: Alyse Gossman
PO Box 230
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33302